Saturday, August 31, 2013

My Famicom has Arrived! Yahoo! Auctions, MUFJ ATMs and RFAdapters


After multiple delivery attempts because I wasn't home, my famicom came at about 9:45 Thursday morning! It came with a huge box of carts but I arranged only my favorite titles in the title shot. Maybe some of those Gundam games are good, who knows! I’ll find out as soon as I get an RF to UHF cable today.


I went to Bic Camera and bought what I thought was an RF to UHF adapter, but since I know very little about these arcane technologies and the store staff knew even less, I still haven't actually played this think. The closest I came was seeing the static change to a different style of snow. But this has left me very hopeful. In the meantime, my Famicom Disk System and Yume Koujou - Doki Doki Panic have been won and paid for, so as soon a those arrive, I'll really have to get my act together.



Okay, so now some talk about the payment options. I've won six auctions now and have paid for all of them with a bank transfer from an ATM. I bank at Tokyo Mitsubishi UFJ, and all of the sellers bank there too, so the transfers are free. As you might imagine, this system is SO much better than Paypal and ebay back in the states. No more fees or long wait times for payment to transfer. 

The problem for foreigners is that there is no English option for bank transfers at MUFJ ATMs, so you have to go it alone with Japanese language buttons and typing in katakana. Nothing you can't handle, especially with the help of this blog:

http://jimmynjapan.blogspot.jp/2010/03/how-to-use-ufj-atm.html?m=1

Armed with his screenshots of the transfer process, the seller's message with their bank account number, branch name (like Sapporo) and first and last name, and by translating the branch name into katakana and kanji, I was able to do this with my smart phone while at the ATM (which is kind of a big no-no, but whatever).

The packages usually arrived about two days after the transfer.

No comments:

Post a Comment